Praise for Princess Cruises as ship remains in quarantine
Published on Wednesday, February 12, 2020
Princess Cruises has been praised on social media for the way it is handling the quarantine of its ship the Diamond Princess, which remains off the coast of Japan with thousands of guests and crew stranded onboard.
In a video update posted on Youtube, executive vice president Rai Caluori confirmed that, ‘barring any unforeseen events’, the quarantine will end on February 19.
In the meantime, he said the ship had increased his circulation of fresh air to cabins and crew areas in what he described as ‘an abundance of caution’ to reassure passengers it was doing all it can to limit the spread of coronavirus onboard.
So far, 175 passengers have been confirmed as suffering from the virus and have been removed to clinics in Japan.
The remaining passengers are being asked to stay in their cabins.
Caluouri said one area of concern for passengers stranded onboard was the need of regular prescription drugs and he reassured them that Princess will continue to deliver prescriptions where needed. So far, it has delivered more than 2,000 drugs he said, and the ship has taken on board a further 200 hand sanitisation stations.
He said the confinement was particularly hard for families with young children, so the crew have activated a digital programme to occupy them.
Caluori’s update was positively received by most of the viewers, with many praising Princess for its handling of the situation.
One wrote: “It’s great to see you stepping up and doing everything within your power with a situation that is unprecedented and out of your hands. Credit must be given to your staff as well as the passengers on board as it must be something that they and you have never come across before.”
Another wrote: “praying for all on board, i think princess has done a very good job at a very trying time i hope to cruise with you next year, thank you for your care.”
Some viewers said they would choose Princess for their next cruise following its response to the crisis.
Caluori also confirmed that the 1,000-plus crew trapped onboard are being paid for their time and that they will be given leave once the crisis is over.
He said: “We truly appreciate all the support from people around the world and particularly the support for our teammates who are working so hard and doing so much during a particularly challenging experience.”
Meanwhile parent company Carnvial Corporation, which owns several other cruise lines, said it is evaluating contingency plans to deal with crisis.
“While not currently planned, if the company had to suspend all of its operations in Asia through to the end of April, this would impact its fiscal 2020 financial performance by $0.55 to $0.65 per share, which includes guest compensation,” it said in a statement.
“In addition, the impact on global bookings will further affect the company’s financial performance. The company is currently evaluating contingency plans to mitigate the impact and will provide an update with its first quarter 2020 earnings release in late March.”