FBI finds no wrongdoing or negligence in Dom Rep deaths
Published on Friday, October 18, 2019
The US said there have been no signs of wrongdoing or negligence relating to the deaths of eleven tourists in the Dominican Republic this year.
The US state department consular affairs office said the FBI determined post-mortem toxicology test results were consistent with natural causes.
The FBI opened an investigation into the deaths of several tourists in Dominican Republic resorts in just a few weeks.
Tainted alcohol was widely reported as a possible cause.
“The results of additional extensive toxicological tests conducted to date have been consistent with the findings of local authorities. Our condolences are with the families during this difficult time,” the office of consular affairs of the state department said in a statement to Fox News.
Dominican Republic authorities attributed a 100,000 drop in visitor numbers through September to the negative media headlines surrounding the ‘mysterious’ deaths.
Both US state department officials and the D.R. tourism ministry had previously said the number of US tourist deaths in 2019 was generally in line with previous years.